Monday, September 18, 2017

The Inside of a Deben Locator Box



The too rarely seen inside of an old Deben locator box. Not many of these still in action, I think.

I change out the 9 volt battery every year at this time. Notice that I tape the battery to the side of the box to prevent a loose battery from smashing things inside. I also tape the seams of the box to keep out water and dust.

Notice the splint of black plastic at the top edge of the box -- that's a repair I made after I left the box overnight in the field by accident, and a coyote came by and bit the box before carting away the old groundhog I had left out for it. The coyote also left a big turd on top of the box!

Deben boxes are basically FM pocket radios circa 1965. The electronics design is American, I believe. See here for more information.

No comments: